Rates: You’ll receive a cost estimate up front, and I will never go over that estimate without your explicit permission. (For more information about editorial rates, please see the guidelines published by the Editorial Freelancers Association.)
I offer a broad spectrum of services. Which one fits your needs? It depends largely on where you are in the writing process.
- If you haven’t finished your manuscript (and are struggling), consider coaching.
- When you’ve finished writing and editing your novel, manuscript evaluation or developmental editing is likely to be a good starting point.
- If you’ve already received a manuscript evaluation or developmental edit, or if you’ve vetted your manuscript with critique partners, alpha/beta readers, or a writing workshop to address “big picture” issues (plot, characterization, etc.), intensive line editing is probably a good choice.
Terms like “line editing” and “copyediting” mean different things to different people. So it’s important to know how a particular editor defines them. Please click a link, below, to find out what I include with each service.
Basic Coaching Package: Review of synopsis and outline + 1st 2500 words (about 10 double-spaced pages) — $150; you will also receive a 10% discount on future services for this project. For example, if you receive coaching on a budding novel and later decide to pursue a manuscript evaluation or editing, the cost of the evaluation or edit will be reduced by 10%.
Custom Coaching Package: (Structural Editing) — $40 per hour; you will also receive a 10% discount on future services for this project. For example, if you receive coaching on a budding novel and later decide to pursue a manuscript evaluation or editing, the cost of the evaluation or edit will be reduced by 10%.
Manuscript Evaluation: $0.008 per word; you will also receive a 10% discount on future services for this project. For example, if you invest in a manuscript evaluation and then decide to pursue editing, the cost of the edit will be reduced by 10%.
Developmental Editing: (Structural Editing) — $40 per hour; you will receive an estimate or a flat rate, up front, based upon how much time I anticipate devoting to your project.
Intensive Line Editing: (Substantive Copyediting) I always review a manuscript twice during a line edit. — $0.018 per word. Intensive line editing includes copyediting. However, light copyediting or proofreading after the line editing stage is recommended.
Light Copyediting: (Proofreading) — $.0125 per word. If I provided line editing for your project, this rate will be reduced by 50 percent.
Policies & Procedures:
- Before committing to developmental editing, intensive line editing, or copyediting, I ask to review your manuscript. This will give me a better sense of your editorial needs.
- Upon request I will provide a free sample edit of about 500 words of your manuscript. This will demonstrate the type of editing I recommend and help you decide whether I’m a good fit for you.
- As we discuss the prospect of working together, it’s likely that you’re evaluating several other editors as well. This is completely understandable. I only ask that you let me know you’re talking to other editors and tell me as soon as possible if you decide to work with someone else.
- After we agree upon an estimate, I require a 50% nonrefundable deposit to reserve your spot on my editorial calendar.
- I will also email you a letter outlining what we’ve agreed upon. Feel free to talk to me about any questions you have or any changes you propose to the letter of agreement before paying the deposit.
- When I receive your manuscript, on the agreed-upon date, I’ll ask for an additional 25% before I begin editing.
- The remainder is payable within 30 days after the work is completed.
- For most writers, hiring a professional editor is a significant investment. In some cases, I offer alternative payment plans.
- I work electronically, making corrections, suggested revisions, and comments with the Track Changes feature in Microsoft Word.
- I request that the author take a hiatus from working on the manuscript while it’s being edited; my feedback will be based on the version provided to me.
Am I the Right Editor for You?
Let’s find out.