When beginning work on a novel or memoir, many writers—especially first-time authors—find it helpful to share their projects with a professional editor/writing coach for feedback and direction. This can help you complete a strong first draft, using the kinds of professional feedback you’re likely to receive from an editor, agent, publisher, or reader. It’ll also help you focus on aspects of your work that readers are likely to love.
Basic Coaching Package
This begins with submitting:
- 2500 words of your first draft (usually the first chapter). There’s no need to worry about perfect grammar, spelling, or punctuation. It’s a first draft! No one is judging you. 🙂
- a synopsis (a brief summary [usually 1-2 pages] of the novel you plan to write).
- an outline of the novel you plan to write. It’s fine if there are gaps in the outline or it’s unfinished. After all, you’re still in the process of creating your story.
- any specific questions or concerns you have.
What You’ll Receive:
- I’ll provide an editorial letter, offering suggestions to help you finish your project. It will look at elements of your work such as:
- developing your story and plot
- use of point of view in narration
- word choice
- style and tone
- In some cases, you might receive a story map, expanding on your outline and analyzing how various elements of the work-in-progress, including story beats, character arcs, conflict, and plot, fit together.
- You’re likely to receive comments in the manuscript, highlighting the recommendations in the letter.
The excerpt from your manuscript will not be edited.
Custom Coaching Package
Are you in the midst of writing your first draft, but you can’t move forward? Have you finished the first draft and are struggling to begin your first revision? Or do you just need some structure and direction? We can create an individualized coaching plan to meet your needs.
For more information, see Rates & Policies.
Am I the Right Editor for You?
Let’s find out.