Stephanie Marshall Ward, Editor & Writing Coach
Thorough, Supportive Editing & Coaching for Writers
I provide line editing and copyediting to academic and trade presses and to scholars, journalists, students, and others contributing to public intellectual discourse. My focus is on human rights, social justice, sexuality and gender, social psychology, politics, and other fields in the social sciences. I’m rigorous about meeting deadlines, and I will polish the text so your style and voice will shine.
Substantive Copyediting (Line Editing)
[starting at $.02 per word] In most cases, copyediting is provided after developmental editing has been completed, and it usually* includes:
- Editing to ensure that grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and style are correct and conform to the style guide
- Revising for consistency in presentation of numbers, hyphenation, and abbreviations
- Editing for clarity and consistency
- Improving sentence structure and strengthening the rhythm of the prose
- Ensuring that each paragraph flows smoothly and logically
- Checking for accuracy, precision, and variety in word choices
- Revising, where appropriate, to use active vs. passive voice
- Fact-checking nonspecialized information (names, dates, etc.)
- Editing citations/footnotes and bibliography for consistency and conformity to style guide
- Checking charts, tables, and other graphics for clarity and consistency
- Revising anything else that might distract readers from the text
*You might need less intensive copyediting. We’ll discuss your editorial needs, and I’ll provide an estimate for your project. Before offering an estimate, I’ll provide a free sample edit of about 500 words. This will demonstrate the level of editing I recommend and help you decide whether I’m a good fit for you.
MS, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina (GPA: 4.0)
- I worked as a research assistant, and I was chosen from among all the students in the department to edit professors’ articles for publication in professional journals.
- I won second place in a national competition for a journal article.
BA, University of North Carolina
Relevant Editorial Training:
- Keys to Effective Editing
- Beginning Copyediting
- Intermediate Copyediting
- Advanced Copyediting
- Professional Mentoring in Developmental & Line Editing of Fiction
- Evaluating Your Effectiveness as an Editor
- Editing Queries, Synopses, and Blurbs
- Introduction to Professional Academic Editing
- ACES: The Society for Editing
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- Association for Independent Publishing Professionals
I also participate in activities sponsored by the Northwest Editors Guild.
Am I the Right Editor for You?
Let’s find out.